It’s a terrible thing when a loved one dies. It can feel totally unreal, like you’re in some awful nightmare. The wrongful death attorneys at Carlson Bier have the experience and persistence to pursue justice on your behalf.
A sudden death is even more traumatizing and disorienting than if a person has been sick for years on end. Even though their passing may feel abrupt and unexpected, it’s often the result of someone else’s negligence or wrongdoing. When that happens, it can be important to think about your legal options.
You can pursue justice with Carlson Bier
If you have lost a loved one due to the negligence or misconduct of another, our wrongful death attorneys will work with you to seek justice for their death. Our team will help guide you through this process and ensure that those responsible are held accountable for their actions.
The pain and anguish that comes from this kind of loss can be unbearable, leaving you with many unanswered questions and lingering emotions. These are some things to keep in mind as you consider what steps to take next:
- It’s natural for you to want justice for your loved one’s death.
- You deserve full compensation for your losses, including funeral expenses and medical bills related to treating injuries sustained during the accident.
- Your wrongful death attorney will walk you through all aspects of filing a claim so that you don’t miss anything important or get confused along the way.
Our wrongful death attorneys have successfully handled numerous cases. If you would like more information about how we can get results in your situation as well, please contact us today.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death in Illinois
Wrongful death cases can arise in a variety of situations. Some of the most common include:
- Assaults or physical attacks
- Construction accidents
- Medical malpractice, including the failure to timely diagnose and/or improper treatment
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Unsafe products
Types of Damages in an Illinois Wrongful Death Case
In a successful wrongful death lawsuit, the court will award “damages” to the deceased person’s survivors or estate. Those are the losses that the plaintiff has claimed. In Illinois, damages are paid to the deceased person’s surviving spouse and next of kin according to their level of dependency on the deceased person, as determined by the court. (740 Ill. Comp. Stat. 180/2 (2021).) There is currently no cap on the amount of damages awarded in Illinois
In Illinois, damages are intended to compensate the deceased person’s survivors not only for the financial losses associated with the death but also for intangible losses suffered by the family.
Some common types of damages awarded in Illinois include money for:
- loss of financial support the deceased would have provided, including lost wages and benefits
- loss of consortium (meaning the loss of society, companionship, and the sexual relationship the deceased would have had with his or her spouse)
- loss of instruction, education, and moral training the deceased would have provided to any surviving children, and
- survivors’ grief, sorrow, and mental suffering.
Our wrongful death attorneys will ensure those responsible pay for their negligence
Our wrongful death attorneys will work with you to determine what happened and who was responsible. They will also work with you to determine how to hold those people responsible for their negligence accountable, while ensuring that they pay for the tragedy they caused.
Our wrongful death attorneys are compassionate, understanding, and knowledgeable about how these events can affect families; even years after their loved one’s death. We know how important it is for families to seek justice and ensure that those at fault do not get away without paying for their actions or omissions.
If you or someone you know has lost a family member due to a preventable accident, contact Carlson Bier Associates today for a consultation. We can help you get justice for your loved one and the compensation that they deserve. Our wrongful death attorneys will work tirelessly on your behalf to ensure that every aspect of the case is handled in an efficient and professional manner.