If you’ve been injured in a car accident, you may be able to sue for compensation. If you want to go that route, you will need a car accident lawyer Arlington Heights to help you through the process. The attorneys at Carlson Bier are here to help you pursue justice. Contact us at 312-622-2900 for a consultation.
The amount of compensation that you can recover depends on the circumstances of your accident. There are four main types of damages that you may be able to recover if you win your lawsuit: compensatory damages, nominal damages, special damages, and general damages.
Types of damages you may be able to recover
There are four main types of damages that you may be able to recover if you win your lawsuit.
- Compensatory damages – These are damages that compensate the injured party for losses they have suffered as a result of the accident. An example would be medical bills or lost wages due to time off work after an injury. Compensatory damages are meant to compensate you for your injuries and losses. These can include medical bills, lost wages, property damage and pain and suffering.
- Nominal damages – These are very small amounts of money awarded by a court when no actual harm has been done, but there was still some sort of legal violation which caused injury or damage (for example if someone’s rights were violated). Nominal damages may be awarded when you have suffered minor injuries such as whiplash or soft tissue damage which don’t require medical treatment but still cause pain, discomfort and inconvenience over time. They may also be used if your injuries have healed completely within six months after the incident occurred but left behind some residual symptoms such as headaches every now and then. This shows that someone else’s actions still changed the quality of life of a person.
- Special Damages – The most common form of compensation is known as special damages, which refers to the costs incurred during your recovery process. This can include medical bills and expenses related to rehabilitation services such as physical therapy or massage therapy. Another type of compensation is pain and suffering damages. This refers to how much it hurt when you were hit by another vehicle and how long it took before you were able to get back on your feet again.
- General Damages – General damages are also known as non-economic damages. They include:
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium (the loss of companionship)- this refers specifically only spouses/partners who were married at time time where one partner died suddenly due injury sustained during accident involving another driver’s negligence.
- Loss of enjoyment of life
The car accident lawyer Arlington Heights from Carlson Bier Associates, are well versed in the different types of damages that you can recover. They have helped numerous clients receive compensation for their losses in a car accident and are ready to help you.
A car accident lawyer Arlington Heights can help you
The amount of compensation that you can receive depends largely on the circumstances of your accident. Because there are so many different things to consider, it is important that you have an experienced car accident lawyer Arlington Heights to help you through the process.
Our top car accident attorneys from Carlson Bier can help you navigate the process with ease and will help you pursue justice.
You should not settle a case before talking with a lawyer. Settling too early can be a mistake because insurance companies and others do not have your interest at heart. Our attorneys can help you avoid mistakes that could cost you later on and they will help you get better results overall.