Slip and fall accidents are one of the most common causes of injury among workers. They can also occur in public places or in and around people’s homes. If you’ve been injured from a slip and fall accident, you may need a personal injury lawyer Oak Park Illinois. The attorneys at Carlson Bier Associates can help you get compensation for your injuries and other damages. Contact us at 312-622-2900.
According to OSHA, slips and falls account for about 1.5 million injuries per year in the United States. That’s a staggering number. Because slip and fall accidents can result in serious injuries or fatalities, it is important that steps are taken to minimize their risk at work sites. There are some common causes of slip and fall accidents and there are some things you can do to prevent them from happening.
Slippery surfaces are a common cause of slip and fall accidents. Slipperiness can be caused by natural conditions, such as ice or snow, or by unnatural factors such as spilled liquids or oil and grease. To determine whether a surface is slippery, test it with your hand. If you can’t keep your footing on the surface without holding onto something else for support, then it’s likely too slippery for walking purposes.
To avoid slipping on a potentially slippery surface test the surface with your foot before stepping onto it. You can also wear shoes with good traction when walking outside in winter weather. Even though ice doesn’t melt until temperatures reach 32 degrees Fahrenheit (0 Celsius), salt will help provide better traction.
Slippery surfaces should be clearly marked, like after a floor has been mopped or waxed. If you have fallen on a slippery surface, you may have a personal injury claim. Our personal injury lawyer Oak Park Illinois can evaluate the circumstances surrounding your fall and determine if you have a case.
Dangerous lighting is a common cause of slip and fall accidents. It can be caused by any number of factors, including:
- Badly designed fixtures or bulbs that do not provide sufficient light to illuminate the floor without creating shadowed areas or glare.
- Poor installation which results in improperly positioned lights that cast shadows over walkways or stairs.
- Flickering lights create dangerous shadows that make it difficult for people with visual impairments to see clearly where they are going on their way through the building’s interior.
Lighting in the workplace should not be an afterthought and should be adequate enough so there is satisfactory visibility for workers or customers. If insufficient lighting has led to a slip and fall injury, you may be able to recover damages. At Carlson Bier Associates, our personal injury lawyer Oak Park Illinois is experienced with these types of claims. They will make sure that you take the path that will get you the results you deserve.
Potential tripping hazards
Slip and fall accidents can happen anywhere, but there are some common places where they occur. Common slip and fall hazards include:
- Stairs | If you’re walking down stairs in a dark area, it’s easy to trip on the edge of each step or miss a step altogether.
- Rugs or carpeting that has been poorly installed or is worn | They can cause you to lose your footing and fall if they aren’t secured properly against the flooring.
- Walkways with poor lighting | Those that only have overhead lights instead of lamps mounted along the edges of hallways may not properly light a walkway. People may not see obstacles until after they’ve tripped over them.
There can be potential tripping hazards in the workplace, at places of business, or in other people’s homes. If they have led to a fall and an injury, you may be entitled to compensation for medical expenses or other damages. Our personal injury lawyer Oak Park Illinois understands the physical pain, mental anguish, financial strain, lost wages, and other issues that come with slip and fall accidents. Contact us today for a consultation.
Ladders and scaffolds
Ladders and scaffoldings are often used to access inaccessible areas or to reach high places. They can be dangerous, however, if they are not used properly.
Here are some tips on how you can use ladders safely:
- Always stay clear of the top rung of any ladder or scaffolding when you’re climbing down it (you don’t want to fall off). You should also stand on one foot while using a ladder, which will help keep your balance better and reduce risk of falling off. Make sure that there is no one below you before starting up, otherwise, they might get hurt as well.
- When using an extension pole with wheels attached at both ends (such as an extension ladder), make sure that these wheels are locked into place so that the pole doesn’t move unless someone steps onto it manually from either side.
If you’ve been injured from a slip and fall accident contact our personal injury lawyer Oak Park Illinois
Slip and fall accidents can be caused by a variety of factors. The most common are slippery surfaces, dangerous lighting, potential tripping hazards, and ladders or scaffolds. There are many causes of slip and fall accidents and there are many steps that can be taken to prevent them. However, some workplaces or businesses fail to properly maintain these areas and injuries may result. If that is the case, contact Carlson Bier Associates today for a consultation. Our personal injury lawyer Oak Park Illinois will help you recover the damages you need and deserve.